Animated films are becoming increasingly popular nowadays. However, a lot of people have no clue how to create them. In business, short animated films have been used extensively for advertisements. An idea is conceptualized and then developed into a short film. You can do this on your own or have a professional agency dealing with animations do it for you. The good thing about these companies is that they can assure quality work as they have a wide range of experience in dealing with animations. For instance, animation creation from iLustra has been used largely by multinational companies for advertisements. Creating short animated films is now easy. Your story can be turned into a movie. Here are 3 ways in which you can make a short animated film:
- Choose a good script.
A quality script means a good movie. A script typically outlines your ideas. A script is complete only if it has:
- An eye-catching theme. The theme should be simple and understandable.
- Characters – this is what will draw the attention of your target audience. Characters can be either people or animals.
- Visuals – it answers the questions of where the shot takes place. What is the atmosphere or mood? A fantasy-themed movie will draw more attention from the audience.
- Plot – a script without a plot is incomplete. The story has to have a beginning, the middle and an end.
- Sketch the character models
Before beginning animating, have a clear idea of what your characters will look like. Try to capture them in different expressions, poses, and costumes to have an idea of how exactly they will look like. Short animated films allow you to explore the extent of your creativity.
- Synchronize dialogue with sound effects.
Have the sound effects harmonized with the dialogue of the characters in regards to time. Go thoroughly through your animation to ensure your sound effects and visuals are in sync correctly before releasing it to your viewers.
- Determine your animating medium – It is often determined by the skill you have and your hardware. For instance, a beginner with an old computer will find it hard making 3D animations.
- Draw your background – Background is anything that your characters don’t interact with, since anything moving has to be animated. It, therefore, should be a big drawing scanned at a resolution which is very high.
- Composite the footage – This is piecing the movie together. It might be simple or hard depending on your animating medium.
- Record any dialogue for the final film – Get your vocals right, now that your animation is almost done. Let your voice actors have a look at the last scene, expressions, and character to help both of you deliver the best vocal performance.
- Add sound effects appropriately – Sound effects should be tuned at an optimum volume and come after the voice of the actors. This allows the vocals to be heard clearly. However sound effects can happen before the voice, especially if there is an explosion, because the actors have to react to hearing this sound.
- Add your polishing touches – They include effects, color corrections, and transitions. This should be done at the very last when everything else about the film has been executed. You can add effects, titles, and credits over the finished footage.