This week marks the 30th anniversary of the cinematic release of Predator. Set deep in the jungle, Arnold Schwarzenegger and a band of merry muscle men found themselves stalked by an alien warrior out on a hunting trip. Check out our Predator movie facts below.
Predator movie facts! 30 things you didn’t know about the classic action movie
It’s hard to believe that it was so long ago that we first saw Arnie go toe-to-toe with an invisible alien. It’s easily one of the films that Schwarzenegger is best known for, and even today it’s a spectacular sci-fi, action horror. It’s such a strong film that it’s still inspiring further explorations into the franchise, director Shane Black (who starred in Predator) is currently hard at work on The Predator.
As turning thirty is a very important landmark we thought it only fitting to round up a whole heap of interesting facts about the iconic movie. Stick around and read them all below:
1. Stuntwork is a really dangerous business, Arnie’s double for the scene in which he falls into the river, blew his knee out performing the stunt. Ouch!
2. The film is one of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s most iconic roles, but things were originally scripted to be different. Early versions featured a Native American soldier as the lead. This role was later morphed into that of Billy.
3. Predator is filled with Arnie one-liners a plenty, but one of his best – ‘Stick Around’ – was improvised.
4. Ever wondered how they achieved that colour and consistency of the Predator’s blood? Well it transpires that it was made on-set using a blend of glow sticks and KY Jelly.
5. That blood, which is a lovely Mountain Dew yellow / green, was originally going to be orange.
Related: Here’s your first look at the new creature in Shane Black’s The Predator | Our Predator movie facts continue below
6. The Predator design was initially radically different. In a bid to save money, the production decided to use a budget special effects company. The resulting Predator looked, according to Arnold Schwarzenegger, like someone in a lizard suit with the head of a duck. Stan Winston and his team of wizards then joined the project and created that classic predator look.
7. Speaking of the predator’s appearance, apparently the mandibles were James Cameron’s idea. Him, Arnie, and designer Stan Winston, had all worked together on The Terminator and had become good friends.
8. Predator had the second biggest opening weekend of 1987; Beverly Hills Cop II had the highest.
9. The idea for Predator started as a joke. Shortly after Rocky III and IV people started to joke that the only person Balboa hadn’t fought was E.T.
10. Shane Black, who plays Hawkins, is better known as a writer / director. It will come as no surprise then that during his free time on set he was working on his script for The Last Boy Scout.