Starring: Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Aidan Gillen, Iain Glen, Kit Harington, Maisie Williams, Isaac Hempstead Wright, Sophie Turner, Jack Gleeson, Alfie Allen, Rory McCann, Charles Dance, Jerome Flynn, Conleth Hill, John Bradley, Gwendoline Christie, James Cosmo, Stephen Dillane, Carice van Houten, Liam Cunningham, Sibel Kekilli, Rose Leslie, Natalie Dormer, Ciarán Hinds, Diana Rigg, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Ellie Kendrick, Michael McElhatton, Iwan Rheon, Pedro Pascal, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, Indira Varma, Roger Ashton-Griffiths
Running time: 550 minutes
HBO’s most talked about series returns this April, so what better way to get up-to-date and in the GOT mood before the new season begins than by watching the Season 4 Blu-ray or DVD. Based on the second half of George R.R. Martin’s novel A Storm of Swords, this one features, as you’d expect, the usual unexpected twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat.
Based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling book series A Song of Ice and Fire, award-winning regulars Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey and Charles Dance are joined by new additions Oberyn Martell (Pedro Pascal), Ellaria Sand (Indira Varma), Lord Mace Tyrell (Roger Ashton-Griffiths), and Ser Gregor Clegane, a.k.a. “The Mountain” (Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson).
Season 4 starts in the wake of the Red Wedding and while the Lannisters’ hold on the Iron Throne remains intact, new and upcoming threats look to tip the scales as Stannis Baratheon and Daenerys Targaryen continue to grow their respective armies. Daenerys faces challenges when her strength as a ruler is tested and confronted with a host of ethical dilemmas, she must learn the balance between enacting force and mercy. The arrival of the “Red Viper of Dorne” in Kingslanding poses an immediate danger as his hatred for the Lannisters’ is no hidden secret. He’s charismatic, enigmatic, dangerous, and righteous in his pursuit for vengeance against them, which leads to an incredible showdown in episode eight.
In the north, the depleted Night’s Watch seems over-matched against the advances of Mance Rayder’s army of wildlings, which in turn is being trailed by an even more formidable foe: the undead White Walkers.
The show is host to a huge amount of talent who all take advantage of their moments. One standout star continues to be Peter Dinklage with his portrayal of Tyrion Lannister. Tyrion is without doubt one of the most interesting characters of the show, and season 4 sees him face his biggest challenge which culminates in a much delighted triumph when confronting those who have wronged him.
One of the most exciting introductions is Pedro Pascal’s cunning Red Viper, Oberyn Martell. This one is a fan favourite and seeing his passionate loathing of the Lannisters helps fuel his plans for retribution. Not to give too much away, but Oberyn is a curious character. His bravery is tortured and this is best depicted in episode 8 by his unnerving battle against Ser Gregor Clegane, a.k.a. “The Mountain” (Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson). The conclusion of the battle is not all that it seems, as his sacrifice was part of a grander scheme in making the unjust suffer before finding comfort in death. It’s a huge reminder of why we love this show and why it’s worthy of repeated viewing. Pedro plays the part fantastically and embraces all the debauched and honourable characteristics that make Oberyn a thrilling addition to the show.
The intricacies throughout are beautifully woven together as the introduction of new characters add to the continuous allure. From page-to-screen GOT is an ambitious production but rich in detail in both aesthetic and narrative. It’s so easy to get carried away by the fantasy; it’s themes of betrayal and dishonour, power and weakness are compelling and captivating viewing.
The journey through the magical kingdoms of Westeros has cemented a strong fan following, each hour episode is so epic in scope and intimate in storytelling. HBO continue to impressive and this complete season 4 on DVD and Blu-ray also features access to a world of exclusive new bonus content including roundtable discussions, on-set interviews, audio commentaries, and brand new animated histories giving fans hours of extensive, never-before-seen material.
[usr=5] Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season is available to buy now.
Blu-ray – includes all DVD features plus:
- In-Episode Guide – In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters, locations and relevant histories.
- Histories & Lore – Learn about the mythology of Westeros as told from the varying perspectives of the characters themselves.
- Behind the Battle for the Wall – Follow the cast and crew as they create the most ambitious battle to date. This 30-minute documentary explores the challenges of putting together one of the series’ most intense episodes, with never-before-seen material.
- The Fallen: A Roundtable – Writer Bryan Cogman sits down with a few of the many cast members who meet their demise in Season 4. From first learning of their deaths to shooting their final scenes, this 30-minute feature will shed light on what it’s like to live—and die—in the Game of Thrones
- The Politics of Power: A Look Back at Season 3 – Revisit the brutal events of Season 3 to see power shifts that define Westeros at the start of Season 4.
- Bastards of Westeros – Hear showrunners David Benioff & D.B. Weiss and author George R.R. Martin discuss the role bastards play in the Seven Kingdoms.
- Deleted/Extended Scenes – Two deleted scenes.
- Audio Commentaries – Commentaries with cast and crew including showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Pedro Pascal, Aiden Gillen and more!