As one year ends and another begins, it’s always good to have a look back over the past 12 months…and review which films were the most pirated of 2012! Although you may think that some of the big hitters (e.g. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES/AVENGERS ASSEMBLE) would top the poll, you would be wrong. Research shows that little known, under-the-radar comedy PROJECT X was the most illegally downloaded film of the year, coming in with 8.72 million torrents.
The out-of-control-party-based film, directed by Nima Nourizadeh, may not have made an impact over here in the UK, but made a worldwide box office total of $100 million. Yes, there were films that made a hell of a lot more, but if a film isn’t widely released, it can become a victim of Internet pirates.
Settling into second place is MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – GHOST PROTOCOL, while following behind in third is THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (you can see the full list below). And, unsurprisingly, the most pirated TV series of 2012 was the HBO hit GAME OF THRONES, with 4.3 million downloads.
TorrentFreak has noted that it is still unclear whether film box-office revenues are being affected by illegal Internet downloads, but that there is a link between Internet piracy and international figures.
So, what do you think? Are you surprised by the films which made the list? Let us know!
1. PROJECT X (Nima Nourizadeh – 8,720,000 downloads)
2. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – GHOST PROTOCOL (Brad Bird – 8,500,000)
3. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (Christopher Nolan – 8,230,000)
4. THE AVENGERS/AVENGERS ASSEMBLE (Joss Whedon – 8,110,000)
5. SHERLOCK HOLMES: GAME OF SHADOWS (Guy Ritchie – 7,850,000)
6. 21 JUMP STREET (Phil Lord & Chris Miller – 7,590,000)
7. THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (David Fincher – 7,420,000)
8. THE DICTATOR – (Larry Charles – 7,330,000)
9. ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT (Steve Martino & Mike Thurmeier – 6,960,000)
10. TWILIGHT: BREAKING DAWN – PART 1 (Bill Condon – 6,740,000)