To compliment the release of Fredrik Gertten’s documentary BIG BOYS GONE BANANAS! on DVD from Dogwoof, we’ve got two copies to giveaway!
! is not exactly a sequel but a companion piece to Gertten’s previous film BANANAS!, the story of 12 Nicaraguan banana plantation workers who sued Dole Foods over their use of potentially harmful chemicals. Selected to screen at the Los Angeles Film Festival, Gertten receives a message that the film has been pulled by the organisers from competition. Next is a damning article in the Los Angeles Business Journal and then a letter from Dole’s lawyers threatening legal action. What follows is not a courtroom drama, but a deft examination of Dole’s explicit tactics and also their subversive media schemes not only to have the film banned but to blacken the reputation of everyone involved in the film.
Gertten meticulously captures the whole process – from Dole’s attack on the producers, to the media-manipulation and PR campaign – with interviews and footage. But most of all this is a film about Fredrik Gertten and how precarious his life as a documentary filmmaker became at the hands of a large corporation; how his professional reputation and the status of his company came under international scrutiny.
Terms and Conditions:
• The winners will be drawn at random from all the correct entries, and only they will be contacted personally. Prize must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternatives.
• The Hollywood News does not accept any responsibility for late or lost entries due to the Internet or email problems. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt. Entrants must supply full details as required on thecompetition page, and comply with all rules to be eligible for the prizes.
• No responsibility is accepted for ineligible entries or entries made fraudulently.
• Unless otherwise stated, the Competition is open to all GB residents of 18 years and over, except employees of: (a) the Company; and (b) any third party appointed by the Company to organise and/or manage the Competition; and (c) the Competition sponsor(s).
• This competition is a game promoted by The Hollywood News. The Hollywood News’ decision is final in every situation and no correspondence will be entered into. The Hollywood News reserves the right to cancel the competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.
• Entrants will be deemed to have accepted these rules and to agree to be bound by them when entering this competition. These rules are governed by the laws of England and Wales.
• Prizes unclaimed after 28 days will be deemed to have been forfeited and The Hollywood News reserves the right to either offer the prize to the entrant whose name is next drawn at random or to re-offer the prize in any future competition.